Physical and Occupational Therapy
Inpatients and outpatients alike benefit greatly by working with The Orthopedic Hospital's physical and occupational therapists. Therapists focus on helping patients achieve their maximum potential as they help restore the patients to the same quality of life they lived prior to their illness, accident or surgery. Life interruptions such as stroke, surgeries, trauma, developmental delays, cancer and brain, spinal cord, athletic and work-related injuries are some of the conditions that require rehabilitation services. Physical therapists use exercise and physical activity to condition a patient's muscles to improve his or her activity level. Occupational therapists focus on the functionality of the patient's hands, arms and upper extremities while teaching them how to perform tasks such as dressing, brushing their teeth, bathing, going to the bathroom, washing their hands, cooking, eating, driving, getting into and out of a car and preparing for the return to work.
When planning and executing a course of action for patients, our therapists utilize the following:
- A full range of modalities, including heat, ice, ultrasound, electro-stimulation, manual therapy and iontophoresis.
- Individualized and precise rehabilitation programs.
- The area's only heated, multi-level pool for aquatic therapy.
- A fully-equipped gym.
- Early intervention by striving to get our patients' initial appointment scheduled within one or two working days.
- Provide education to patients by teaching proper exercises and techniques to safely strengthen an injured area and help recovery from a current injury. Patients are also taught proper bending and lifting, good posture and correct body mechanics help prevent recurring injury.
The Orthopedic Hospital's licensed staff offers a full range of rehabilitative services, including:
- Manual therapy
- Functional capacity evaluation (FCE)
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Custom hand splinting
- Instrumented augmented soft tissue mobilization
- Workers' compensation rehabilitation
- Custom orthotic evaluation and casting
- Aquatic therapy
- Osteoporosis rehabilitation
- Neck, back and spine rehabilitation, both non-surgical and post-surgical
- Hand therapy
- Industrial medicine and ergonomics
- Job site evaluations
- Manual therapy
- Pediatric rehabilitation
- Sports rehabilitation
- Joint replacement rehabilitation
- Amputee rehabilitation